Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Waspmote Gateway Issue - Not Receiving
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:08 pm 

I received my waspmotes last week and got around to using them yesterday. After some initial problems, I had the gateway set up and receiving data from the waspmotes.

However, today, I turned on my mac and open the serial monitor with the tty to the gateway and see nothing.

I have 3 boards on, with the default program. I have plugged each in on their own and see that they are printing out their own broadcasts and their LEDs light as if it has been sent.

But, when I view the serial monitor for the gateway, I see nothing.

Has anyone experienced this or knows if I have done something stupid?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Waspmote Gateway Issue - Not Receiving
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:26 pm 

Dear encima,

We are going to ask you to read the Waspmote check-list here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7702

Also be sure you open the serial port with the right characteristic like baudrate, etc.

Which Xbee modules are you using?

Please, check these before going further into the problem.

Kind Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:03 pm 

Thanks, I already went through the checklist and plugging the board in directly runs fine.

It is just using the gateway. It is recognised in the IDE and I am using 38400 for the baudrate, as I did yesterday.

Using the boards via usb works fine. I am using Xbee pro boards with SMA connections. The serial output of the gateway shows nothing but I have successfully updated boards via usb.

Also, is there a better way to test code than to have to remove the xbee module, connect the board, upload the code and reconnect the module. It seems like such a fragile piece of kit to keep removing?

Thanks for your help so far!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:25 pm 

Dear encima,

You can use UART1 to communicate with your Xbee instead of UART0. However, you will need the expansion board. Check this post with some useful information about that.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7965&p=17046&hilit=xbee+uart0#p17046

About your communication problems, Did you upload the right code for your Xbee modules?
Check the hello world codes here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7741

Kind regards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:48 pm 

Yep, the code is right, on two of the boards nothing has been changed and they have only been charged up and turned on.

Their USB output is fine. Could it be something up with the gateway. The power LED is on and XBee LED is flashing, so I assume everything is OK?

It is strange, currently I am only testing code on the boards but when I do need to create and monitor a network, this is going to be an issue.

I do not see why it ran fine yesterday but not today? I appreciate the assistance, any ideas so far?

Thanks for the expansion links, I will try and convince my superiors to order 5!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:05 pm 

I have noticed the 4 buttons on the gateway.

Just in case, I uploaded the waspmotes original code to a mote and it is running fine.
In a different terminal I am monitoring the gateway, which is showing nothing.

If I press the RST Button, the monitor shows ~u~o, the other three do nothing.

I guess it is a good sign that it is working but it is definitely not printing anything.

To be clear, I have not pressed these buttons before , so it should not be a problem related to that. I just noticed them as I was debugging.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:31 pm 

Anything?

This is becoming a problem. I do not see how it was fine 2 days ago but does not work now.

I do hate to spam a thread but I am on a dead line and no gateway seriously hinders my ability to code on these boards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:37 pm 

Dear Encina,

First of all sorry for the delay in response.

About Gateway buttons, use only reset button for Xbee reset, the others are for general I/O and now they are not relevant.

Moreover, The X-CTU tool of Digi is very useful to read Xbee networking parameters parameters and also to change them. We recommend you using it to see if all Xbees are in the same network, channel, etc. X-CTU software can be downloaded from Digi website http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-w ... odule#docs

Besides that, if you check our development section, you will find a specific networking guide for your modules and other useful documentation which explain the necessary networking concepts to use with sensor networks.

http://www.libelium.com/development/waspmote

Take a look into this information and pleas ask all the necessary questions.

Kind Regards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:40 am 

Thank you for your response, X-CTU does not work well with Mac, apparently but it seems to be something I will need to use.

I have spent the weekend putting the default program on the waspmotes, yet I still receive nothing on the gateway.

My only thought is that, somehow, I have replaced the default receive program on the gateway, if that is possible? If it is, how do I put it back on?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:11 pm 

I am not sure if this is relevant, but when I plug the Gateway in (with or without the ZB module), the only way I can get an output is by pressing the reset button (with module plugged in).

If I type "+++" into the serial monitor, I get nothing.

Is it possible that the gateway is faulty?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next