› Over the Air Programming (OTAP)
The concept of Wireless Programming, commonly know as Programming Over the Air (OTAP) has been used in the past years overall for the reprogramming of mobile devices such as cell phones. However, with the new concepts of Wireless Sensor Networks, M2M and the Internet of Things, where the networks consist of hundreds or thousands of nodes, OTA is taken to a new direction, and for the first time it is applied using both mobile phone technologies such as 4G, 3G and GPRS and unlicensed protocols such as WiFi.
Libelium implements OTAP with the 4G, 3G, GPRS, GPRS+GPS and WiFi modules via FTP.
» OTAP with 3G / GPRS / WiFi via FTP
- Enables the upgrade or change of firmware versions without physical access.
- Upgrades the new firmware by querying a FTP server which helps to keep battery life.
- Enables to upgrade an entire network in few minutes
- Waspmote queries the FTP server for a new program version
- Checks if program name, path and version are correct
- Downloads the new program
- Reboots and starts with the new program
- Protocols which support FTP transmissions are directly connected to the Network Access Point
Radio modules supported
Once the program is downloaded to Waspmote it is stored it in the 2 GB SD card.
Meshlium OTA-FTP plug-in
Meshlium the gateway of the IoT network, hosts the FTP server inside. The user interface of Meshlium, called Manager System, features a plug-in which permits to configure this FTP server automatically by attaching the program binary file to be used.
In order to know more about OTAP including how manage Meshlium to act as FTP server for the nodes of the network, download the OTAP guide from:
The concept of OTAP may have some other names such as:
Contact us and get the Sensor Platform used by more of 2000 active Developers.