Battery is not charging

Questions about the Waspmote board and its modules
mpikabea

Battery is not charging

Post by mpikabea » Thu May 03, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi there,

I have the following issue: I have 2 WaspMotes (1 is for gases and the other 1 for noise) connected via USB in my lab. Both waspmotes have the same problem: although I left them the whole weekend charging, they are not charging. I think something is wrong physically in the battery, but I don't know.

Any ideas?

Best regards,

mpikabea

libelium-dev

Re: Battery is not charging

Post by libelium-dev » Fri May 04, 2018 10:01 am

Hi,

Are they v12 or v15 devices? Are the devices OFF? Keep mind that the current that Waspmote v12 can reach through the USB is 100mA, so a complete battery charge can last 66 hour (or even more if the pc supplies less than 100mA).

Please try to charge the device using a 5V AC/DC adapter with an output current higher than 100mA. Also make sure the devices are off to avoid that the current supply will be lower than the current consumption.

Regards

mpikabea

Post by mpikabea » Mon May 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi there,

The versions of the WaspMotes are v12. I have tested them in different ways and these are the results:

With the devices OFF:

WaspMote Gases -> Not charging nor USB neither with solar panel cable.

WaspMote noise -> Charging with USB, but not charging with solar panel cable.

With devices ON:

WaspMote gases -> Not charging nor USB neither with solar panel cable.

WaspMote noise -> Charging USB, but not charging with solar panel cable.

The thing here is that both WaspMotes have to stay outside, and they need the solar panel connection. If they are recovering data, they need to be ON, so the battery never will go full charged.

Thanks,

mpikabea.

libelium-dev

Post by libelium-dev » Tue May 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi,

What is the battery level of the nodes currently? Please keep the nodes charging for 3 or 4 days with the button in OFF position to make sure the nodes don't a have a higher current consumption than the current supplied. The battery charges very slowly when it is completely discharged.

About your test with panel solar, did you place the solar panel in a site with direct sunlight.

Regards

mpikabea

Post by mpikabea » Tue May 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi there,

Before write my post, I did the test you have mentioned. I left both WaspMotes OFF during more than a whole weekend, and only the noise WaspMote could charge vía USB.

As for the solar panel cable, I made a mistake. I meant Waterproof USB cable, which have a different connector in one of the ends.

regards,

mpikabea

libelium-dev

Post by libelium-dev » Wed May 09, 2018 9:23 am

Hi,

Before open a RMA, please check if the AC/DC adapter used works properly. If it works, please fill the RMA and our tech support team will contact you to solve the issue.
http://www.libelium.com/contact/#RMA

Regards

mpikabea

Post by mpikabea » Fri May 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Dear Support,

Yes, the AC/DC adapter works properly. I will fill the RMA then, thank you.

Best regards,

mpikabea

libelium-dev

Post by libelium-dev » Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 am

Sorry for the inconvenience. Our tech support time will contact you when you fill the RMA.

Regards