Problems with OTAP as a Java Process in a ZigBee network

Using OTA functions with Waspmote
dwtpdOn
Company: Universidad Zaragoza

Problems with OTAP as a Java Process in a ZigBee network

Post by dwtpdOn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:14 am

Hello,

We are using a Gateway with XBee Zigbee radio module as a coordinator and a Waspmote board with a XBee ZigBee as a router. Both radio modules are in API mode and using the same PAN ID and same channel. When we try to scan the network using the OTA in command window (otap –scan_nodes –-mode BROADCAST), the OTAP program works perfectly and detects that there is a node in the network.

However, we are trying to run the ota code inside a java process. We execute the following:

Process process = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("java -Djava.library.path=./lib/ -jar otap.jar –scan_nodes –-mode BROADCAST);

As a result, the gateway sends a ZigBee LEAVE command (we have seen it with Wireshark) and it changes its 16-bit PAN ID. Since the router continues in its previous 16-bit PAN ID, the gateway and the router are not in the same 16-bit PAN ID and it is not possible to work with them.
The questions are, why does the gateway send this LEAVE command? How could this be changed/solved? Would it be possible to know what does the ota.jar exactly do?

Thank you in advance.

libelium-dev

Re: Problems with OTAP as a Java Process in a ZigBee network

Post by libelium-dev » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi,

Did you set the API mode 1 in the coordinator module and API mode 2 in the router module?

./otap –scan_nodes –-mode BROADCAST command doesn't send any leave command. Did you run another command before?

Regards

dwtpdOn

Post by dwtpdOn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi,

Yes, I set the API mode 1 in the coordinator and the API mode 2 in the router module.

As I said before, when I execute the OTA in a command window, otap –scan_nodes –-mode BROADCAST doesn’t send any leave command.
If I execute the ota code inside a java process, the gateway sends a ZigBee LEAVE command. And I am not running any other command before.

Thank you.

libelium-dev

Post by libelium-dev » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi,

We are sorry but we haven't experience working with java process. We can't help you with this issue.

Regards

dwtpdOn

Post by dwtpdOn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks for answering.

We are implementing a java application that is using this otap.jar and since it seems that something is different from both modes, we want to ask you if it is possible to enable some developer/debug mode for ota.

With Java Process I can access the standard I/O, but perhaps a verbose output would provide additional information to differentiate both modes of execution (commands vs. java).

Thanks

libelium-dev

Post by libelium-dev » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:53 am

Hi,

We are sorry but there isn't a debug mode for OTA.

Sorry for the inconveniences but we haven't knowledges of Java.

Regards