Problems with accessing to Manager System

Development questions: create new plugins, add new features...
wep_hkpu

Problems with accessing to Manager System

Post by wep_hkpu » Thu May 25, 2017 9:15 am

Dear libelium-dev,

I have been monitoring a number of Meshliums for several months.
Sometimes, I cannot remote access to the devices since the devices shut down themselves somehow.
The automatic shutting down has been occasionally happened without any clues of the causes.
Could you please provide the potential reasons of the automatic shutting down?
I have searched the previous posts. One of the reason could be power interruption.
I would like to have the overall picture of the possible causes so as to fix this issue.

By the way, there is one of the Meshlium which behaves differently.
The device does not shut down itself since I can detect its wifi signals.
However, I cannot access the Manager system.
-For the access via wifi, it seems like the connection process cannot be completed.
My laptop keep showing the status 'Obtaining IP address'.
Eventually, Meshlium cannot assign an IP to my laptop.
Note that the Meshlium does not require a password for the connection.

-For the remote access using its fixed IP, the web browser had below warning.
This site can’t be reached
(Fixed IP) refused to connect.
Search Google for Manager System index

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
The error message will be ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT if the device was turned off.
Nevertheless, my computer can ping the fixed IP successfully.

-Finally, the device cannot be accessed by the secure shell.

I haven't try to access the Manager System using a cross cable since the device is already installed far away.
It would be useful if you can analyze the causes of such two problems.
We have been trying to investigate the causes of the two problems but our knowledge is quite limited.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards.

libelium-dev

Re: Problems with accessing to Manager System

Post by libelium-dev » Thu May 25, 2017 9:58 am

Hi wep_hkpu,

If power failure, Meshlium starts again when power restores. A lor of power failures can produce a hardware failure.

If temperature is very high, Meshlium motherboard power off automatically for security reasons. You can see internal temperature in Meshlium Manager System, go to System menu and select Temperature Sensors. High temperature is from the core and low is from de main board. If any temperature is near of 85º it can power off for security reasons.

If some partition is full, Meshlium is not stable, you can check partition status on Meshlium Manager System, System menu, disk usage. Ensure any partition is not at 100%

If Meshlium memory is full, sometimes it freeze, please check it connecting via SSH and check it executing this command:

Code: Select all

free -m
For connectivity issues, ensure this:
- for wifi connection, ensure you are using a non saturated channel, and you connect near of Meshlium.
- for Lan connection, ensure not exists other device with same IP address and you has a fixed IP configured in your computer.
- If you can reconect, check uptime in Meshlium executing via SSH this command to check if Meshlium has being freeze.

uptime
If you detect a more specific problem, please tell us detailed information about it to take a better analisis.

Regards,

wep_hkpu

Post by wep_hkpu » Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 am

Dear libelium-dev,

Thank you for the information.
I will observe the temperature and memory status.
As you suggested that Meshlium should restart again when power is restored, I would like to make a further clarification.

According to the following post,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16014&hilit=shut+down
the comment no.2 suggests that if power source is not stable enough it can affect the device and shut it down.
Furthermore, comments no.4 suggests that the only way to restart Meshlium is to interrupt power and turn it on again.

Do you think Meshlium is able to restart itself for the case of unstable power source, for instance a quick voltage drop for very short moment? I'm confusing which cases that Meshlium is able to restart itself.

I'm considering to provide a UPS for each Meshlium but still hesitating whether it will solve the actual problem on power issues.

Regards.

libelium-dev

Post by libelium-dev » Thu May 25, 2017 11:04 am

Hi wep_hkpu,

If power voltage down, and not to zero, main board will be freeze and the only possibility to restart it is reconnecting power (disconnect and connect again).

Some variations in voltage are supported. Main board has an internal capacitors but this components and power adapter capabilities to correct nominal voltage are limited.

If you known than your power is unstable, an UPS is strongly recommended.

Regards,

wep_hkpu

Post by wep_hkpu » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:37 am

Dear libelium-dev,

Regarding the connectivity issue of a particular Meshlium,
the device can became online sometimes without re-power.
However, I have executed the command 'uptime' and the result is shown as follow:

14:29:27 up 21:28,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.14, 0.11
Could you please suggest the meaning, i.e. has it being freeze for a while?
Thank you.

Regards.

libelium-dev

Post by libelium-dev » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:41 am

Hi wep_hkpu,

The default output for the uptime command is as follows:
  • - The current time (14:29:27)
    - How long the system has been running (21 hours and 28 minutes)
    - How many users are logged in (1 user)
    - the average CPU load (average number of jobs in your system's run queue) for the 1, 5 and 15 minutes. (0.10 jobs for the last 1min, 0.14 jobs for the last 5 min and 0.11 for the last 15min. This average is fine, a little bit underused)
Regards