Watermark sensor difference between v1.2 and 1.5?

Koen Verhoeven

Watermark sensor difference between v1.2 and 1.5?

Post by Koen Verhoeven » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:38 am

We've got several watermarks placed in the ground. These watermarks are bought while waspmote v1.2 was the actual version. Now we left the watermarks in place, but changed the waspmote itself for the newer version. Now we do not get the same results as before. The retured values are around 48 hz. This is the value which means very dry, or no result (sidenote: can this be made more clear?). Since the watermarks are note moved and returned good results until yesterday, I'm wondering if something changed with the watermarks itself between v1.2 and v1.5?

We used the correct new ports of the waspmote v1.5 agriculture plug&sense. The code is correct and checked with newer watermarks. So the only variable here are the watermarks itself.

What can be the issue?

libelium-dev

Re: Watermark sensor difference between v1.2 and 1.5?

Post by libelium-dev » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi,

We are sorry but the sensors for P&S v12 aren't compatible with P&S v15 due to the internal connexion.

Regards

Koen Verhoeven

Post by Koen Verhoeven » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Ok, that is not something I expected. We've got a bunch of these watermarks. Two questions then:
1. How can I check from the outside which version it is? I used to mix them all the time, but was already surprised of some strange results.

2. Is it possible to program the waspmotes in such a way that they return a value of -1 or something like that when the watermark doesn't function as supposed? Now they just return a Hz value which you will also get when the sensor does work.

libelium-dev

Post by libelium-dev » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi,

We are sorry but the external appearance of the sensors is similar in both versions. When a Watermark for v12 is connected to a P&S v15, the sensor isn't connect internally and the value returned is between 40-50Hz. We know this value can also be due to a dry soil but there isn't other way to detect if the watermark sensor connected is for v12 or v15.

Regards