Wifi Scanner Timestamps - is there a way to show when first detected?

How to configure Meshlium or use the Manager System
bpetrey
Company: CertiTech Solutions

Wifi Scanner Timestamps - is there a way to show when first detected?

Post by bpetrey » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:45 am

I have three questions:

1. A real WiFi timestamp, not just batches:
I want to know if there's a way to have the Meshlium WiFi scanner report the real time the wifi device was discovered? I'm looking at both my WiFi and Bluetooth logs and the Bluetooth logs show random increments of time which leads me to believe that the timestamp shows when the device was discovered. In WiFi scan logs, the devices have timestamps that seem to be in batches, and at the increment of the scan interval. In other words, if the scan interval is 40 seconds, then the timestamps show a batch of discovered devices at one time, then 40 seconds later another batch, and so on. I was wondering if it was possible that the timestamp could be changed to show the second the device was discovered. I'm working on an application that really needs accurate timings to the second. The only solution I see currently is to lower the scan interval count to the lowest setting, but that only produces batches in 20 second increments.

2. Explanation of Scanning Type - Indoor/Outdoor
Also Bluetooth shows an option for Scanning Type (Indoor or Outdoor). What is that setting for? Does that increase range or act as a filter? Can't find it in documentation.

3. Determining range
I was trying to determine an accurate test for mapping antenna configuration coverage.
- Do you have any published methodologies?
- I noticed that the Wifi AP has it's own antenna, separate from Wifi Scanner antenna. Do both transmit at the same power?
- Could I assume that if the Meshlium's SSID shows up in my phone's WiFi network list, then it's probably scanning at that range too if using same antenna?
- I assume this will also be a valid test for bluetooth if I make the BT Device Name visible?

4. Antenna blind spots:
Assuming I'm using the supplied omni-directional antennas, are there any blind spots in coverage? For example, if I mount it on a second story exterior, will it catch a device located directly under it? If not, does the blind spot get larger the higher the device is mounted?

Thank you for your help.

libelium-dev

Re: Wifi Scanner Timestamps - is there a way to show when first detected?

Post by libelium-dev » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi,

We are working to develop the first question. Now, as you said, the discovered devices are saved in batches but it will be improved in the next manager system version and it will save the discovered devices in real-time. The next Manager System version will be released in October.

You can find the difference between indoor/outdoor scanning type in the Meshlium technical guide, page 232.
http://www.libelium.com/downloads/docum ... f#page=232

There are two WiFi modules, the WiFi AP and the WiFi Scanner, so the WiFi scanner can discover the WiFi AP. The WiFi scanner scans 802.11a/b/g/n devices. There is only one Bluetooth module, so the Bluetooth module isn't discovered by itself.

Theoretically, the omnidirectional antennas don't cover the area located under it, but actually, there are rebounds and the range of the antenna can cover that area.

Regards

bpetrey
Company: CertiTech Solutions

Post by bpetrey » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:56 am

Thanks, that's a great help. And I wasn't aware that the Meshlium tech document was periodically updated. That's nice to know. Probably why I missed the indoor/outdoor BT setting. I downloaded an older version of the manual earlier last year. I'll read it from the website from now on. Glad you update it.

Also grateful to hear about the Oct change in wifi scan timestamps.

Thanks so much for your prompt response.

libelium-dev

Post by libelium-dev » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:59 am

You're welcome! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any doubt.

Regards