Connecting LoRa / LoRaWAN Gateway to the Internet

Wireless communications in Waspmote, topologies, node types...
KhaledAljehani

Connecting LoRa / LoRaWAN Gateway to the Internet

Post by KhaledAljehani » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Hello.

I have started developing a LoRa / LoRaWAN gateway since Augest, and I have a good background about LoRaWAN and LoRa.

At this stage, I have some questions regarding the Internet connection of a LoRa / LoRaWAN gateway, I really need your help. My questions:

I know that LoRa is PHY and LoRaWAN if a MAC protocol layer. From that information I have two questions:

1. Is there a difference between a LoRa gateway and LoRaWAN gateway? If yes, what is it?

2. I have a LoRa / LoRaWAN gateway, I want to send the captured data by the nodes to a Cloud via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. My question is How to send it? Specifically, LoRaWAN is a MAC layer, so who will take care of Netwrok layer (e.g. TCP/IP)?

Note: I have read many technical documents by Semtec and LoRa Alliance and still did not have a complete understanding of LoRa / LoRaWAN. So, please I am asking for your help.

Thanks in advance.

libelium-dev

Re: Connecting LoRa / LoRaWAN Gateway to the Internet

Post by libelium-dev » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:04 am

Hi,

LoRa contains only the link layer protocol and is perfect to be used in P2P communications between nodes. LoRa modules are a little cheaper that the LoRaWAN ones. While LoRaWAN includes the network layer too so it is possible to send the information to any Base Station already connected to a Cloud platform.

With the LoRaWAN modules you can send the data directly to any Base Station (BS) that is LoRaWAN compatible. In order to visualize the information you will need also a Cloud platform where the data has to be sent. Normally when you acquire a BS you can install your preferred SW packet in order to make it work against the Cloud platform.

Therefore, it is important to differentiate if you have LoRa or LoRaWAN module because the first one can't send data directly to the cloud. With LoRa modules you can send data to Meshlium and view them in the Manager System or through Meshlium send data to a cloud.

Regards