Today, accurate gas measurement and calibration are essential for various industries. Libelium has taken a significant step in this direction by introducing Libelium Lab ILAC certified gasses calibration.
A certified gas devices calibration lab to meet compliance
The European Union establishes new regulations and directives to control and reduce carbon footprint to mitigate climate change by 2030.
This requires the commitment of public and private entities.
EU will allocate one trillion euros per year from 2021 to 2027 to help companies become more economically and environmentally sustainable.
Therefore, EU-funded projects to reduce environmental pollution must have quantifiable and, above all, precise KPIs. We must know that the measures we are taking are effective.
The chemical, petrochemical, and pharmaceutical industries as well as smart cities rely on precision gas measurement for safety, efficiency, and compliance.
Libelium manages to close the circle of its IoT solution for measuring air quality with Libelium Lab, a gasses calibration laboratory certified by ILAC. Thus, gas sensor calibration is now added to sensors and artificial intelligence to offer a complete solution for measuring air quality that helps companies and cities reduce their emissions with reliability and precision.
Libelium Lab is a gas calibration laboratory accredited by ENAC, national accreditation No 285/LC10.250 according to UNE-EN ISO/IEC 17025 regulations.
Libelium calibration lab is certified under the ISO 17025 standard, so it belongs to the network of national calibration laboratories under the ENAC seal and a higher network, ILAC, of more than 168 countries.
The ENAC certification (National Accreditation Entity) recognises the technical competence of a calibration laboratory. This seal of approval guarantees that the results are accurate and reliable. It also highlights Libelium Lab’s ability to carry out gas calibrations with the highest standards of quality and accuracy.
How Libelium Lab works
Located in Ceutí (Murcia), Libelium calibration laboratory is equipped with the most advanced technology and highly trained personnel. Calibrations are performed with the highest precision using specialized equipment and qualified professionals.
Libelium Lab allows companies to calibrate a wide variety of air quality parameters:
- Nitrogen dioxide (NO2)
- Nitrogen monoxide (NO)
- Ozone (O3)
- Carbon monoxide (CO)
- Carbon dioxide sulfur (SO2)
- Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
Two types of gas sensor calibration
Also called adjustment. It is the process in which the signal from a sensor is reported at a given concentration of a gas. It is the most basic calibration but also the most relevant for all equipment to function correctly.
Its objective is to adjust the equipment to the established standards and correct any errors of over or under-performance.
When measuring the same concentration multiple times, an average is calculated to reduce uncertainty. Then, Libelium Labs issues a report.
This calibration can be performed on-site or in our permanent laboratory.
Libelium Lab’s calibration performes using a mixture of ultrapure air and a certified standard gas. This mixture is exposed to electrochemical sensors, generating environmental conditions that provide greater traceability. All this in a cabin that operates under the same physical conditions as a reference station.
Why calibrate gas sensors
Health of people and the planet is at stake, so is crucial to have the most accurate information possible. Especially when it comes to the air we breathe.
In the current era of compliance and regtech, having a certified calibration laboratory has become crucial for many companies and cities seeking to maintain high standards of quality and precision in their equipment. Gas calibration is a fundamental process to guarantee measurements are accurate and reliable.
Libelium understands the importance of measurement accuracy and its impact on decision-making. Therefore, Libelium Lab is committed to maintaining the highest quality standards in each calibration performed.
Choosing to calibrate gas measurement devices at Libelium Lab offers several advantages to companies and cities. Among them are:
- Accuracy and Reliability: Libelium Lab’s certified calibrations ensure accurate and reliable measurements, helping to avoid costly errors and deviations.
- Regulatory Compliance: Certificates issued by a laboratory accredited by ENAC comply with legal and regulatory standards and requirements.
- Operational Efficiency: Accuracy in measurements contributes to optimizing processes and reducing costs associated with possible inefficiencies.
- Safety and Sustainability: Properly calibrated equipment guarantees a safer environment for people and contributes to caring for the environment.
- Speed: Calibration service in less than a week to any point in Europe.
Use cases for a gas sensor calibration
Gasses calibration has a wide variety of applications in different industries and research fields. Some notable examples include:
1. R&D and industry companies (food for protective atmospheres, pharmaceuticals, all those that work with Nitrogen, hospitals…):
- Verification of regulatory compliance. Since food industry works with protective atmospheres, or pharmaceutical companies to name a few. Must guarantee that the gases used in their processes comply with established regulations and standards. The calibration laboratory would ensure that the gas analyzers used in their facilities provide accurate and traceable measurements.
- Validation of medical equipment. Hospitals and healthcare centres that use medical equipment that involves gases (e.g. anaesthesia machines) need to regularly calibrate and certify these devices to ensure their accuracy and safety.
- Research and development. R&D companies working on projects related to nitrogen or other gases need to ensure that the sensors and analyzers used in their research provide accurate and reliable measurements. A certified calibration laboratory would provide them with the necessary guarantee to carry out their investigations accurately.
2. IoT equipment manufacturing companies, gas analyzer manufacturers, flow equipment manufacturers:
- Product validation. Manufacturers of IoT equipment, gas analyzers and flow equipment use the calibration laboratory to validate and certify the accuracy and quality of their products before launching them on the market. This would allow them to stand out as reliable and attractive suppliers to their customers.
- Continuous improvement. Manufacturing companies can regularly submit their devices for recalibration and revalidation, allowing them to maintain the quality and accuracy of their products over time. This would contribute to continuous improvement and customer satisfaction.
- Regulatory compliance. Calibration certification of your equipment would provide manufacturers with the necessary documentation to comply with the regulations and quality standards.
3. Technology/research centres/Universities:
- Validation of research results. Research centers and universities can use the calibration laboratory to validate and support their research results, ensuring that the measurements made are accurate and reliable.
- Prototype development. Technology centres working on the development of new devices or sensors could use the calibration laboratory to ensure that their prototypes work correctly and provide accurate measurements before implementing them in larger projects.
- Collaboration with industry. Technology centres and academic institutions can offer calibration services to companies and manufacturers as part of their service portfolio, which would allow them to establish stronger alliances and collaborations with the industry.
4. Public admin: which carries out searches for bidding (budgets and technical characteristics) although the sale is carried out by bidding:
- Supplier evaluation: Public administration can use supplier calibration certification as an important criterion in evaluating bids for tenders. This would ensure that the equipment supplied is accurate and meets the required standards.
- Quality assurance: By including specific calibration requirements in the technical specifications of tenders, the public administration can ensure that it acquires high-quality equipment that provides accurate and reliable measurements.
- Audits and Compliance: Calibration certification provided by the certified laboratory would be valuable evidence for audits and to ensure compliance with government standards and regulations in awarded projects and contracts.